Generally, paper, aluminum, cardboard, phone books, water and some types of plastics, like bottles and jugs, are all acceptable. Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, light bulbs and electronics can’t be recycled. Food items should be clean and dry, said recycling bureau manager Linda Minner.
What can be recycled in VA?
Common recyclables in Virginia include: paper (newspapers, corrugated cardboard, office paper, mixed paper), metal (scrap, aluminum, tin cans), plastics, glass, yard waste (composted or mulched), waste wood, textiles, waste tires, used oil, oil filters, antifreeze, auto bodies, construction waste, demolition waste, …
What things can and Cannot be recycled?
What Can and Can’t be Recycled
- Paper: office paper, magazines, newspapers and junk mail.
- Green, clear and brown glass bottles and jars.
- Juice and milk cartons.
- All hard plastic bottles and containers marked, but no lids please.
- Steel (tin) and aluminium cans and empty aerosols.
Are pizza boxes recyclable in Virginia?
Food contaminated items such as pizza boxes or aluminum foil are not accepted. Any food left on your containers may attract pests to your recycling bin. Food residue also contaminates the materials and make them recyclable.
What types of items can be recycled?
What Can Be Recycled Curbside
- Paper including newspapers, magazines, and mixed paper.
- Cardboard (OCC)
- Glass bottles and jars.
- Rigid plastic products.
- Metal containers, including tin, aluminum, and steel cans.
- Food waste, if your city has an organics collection program.
What plastics can be recycled in Virginia Beach?
Not all plastics can be processed through our recycling program.
CORRECTING THE RECORD: It’s OK to Put Plastic Grocery Bags in my Recycling Bin
- Household garbage.
- Waxed cardboard.
- Yard waste.
- Plastic toys and pools.
- Plastic motor oil containers.
- Packing peanuts.
Can coated paper cartons be recycled?
Generally, as long as it’s not lined with a plastic film, coated with wax, or covered in embellishments like glitter, velvet or foil, it’s accepted.
What are three examples of items that Cannot be recycled?
- Food waste.
- Food-tainted items (such as: used paper plates or boxes, paper towels, or paper napkins)
- Ceramics and kitchenware.
- Windows and mirrors.
- Plastic wrap.
- Packing peanuts and bubble wrap.
- Wax boxes.
What are 10 things you can recycle?
Top 10 Items That Should Always Be Recycled
- Newspapers. Newspapers are one of the easiest materials to recycle. …
- Mixed Paper. …
- Glossy Magazines and Ads. …
- Cardboard. …
- Paperboard. …
- Plastic Drink Bottles. …
- Plastic Product Bottles. …
- Aluminum Cans.
What can I put in my recycling bin?
In your recycling bin or bags, you can put:
- plastic – including bottles, pots, tubs, cartons and carrier bags (empty and untied)
- paper – including newspapers, magazines and letters.
- cardboard – including cereal and egg boxes.
- metal – including tins, cans, aerosols, aluminium foil and bottle tops.
Should you crush your water bottles for recycling?
Crush your bottle.
Bottles must be crushed and all of the air removed. Be sure to replace the cap back on after you have done this. This causes more space to be saved at the processing facility, reducing the need for expansion.
Do I need to rinse plastic before recycling?
You don’t even have to wash them thoroughly. Simply rinsing out plastic, glass, or aluminum containers letting them dry before throwing them in the recycling bin should be enough to make them perfectly recycle-ready!
Can plastic container lids be recycled?
Plastic lids from larger containers can be recycled.
Larger lids, like those on hummus or yogurt containers, are big enough to be sorted individually at the MRF, so they don’t need to be attached to the container. Scrape off any remaining food residue into the garbage and place these in the recycling.
Can glass bottles be recycled?
Glass bottles and jars are 100% recyclable and can be recycled endlessly without any loss in purity or quality. … Over a ton of natural resources are saved for every ton of glass recycled. Energy costs drop about 2-3% for every 10% cullet used in the manufacturing process.
What plastics Cannot be recycled?
Examples of non-recyclable plastics include bioplastics, composite plastic, plastic-coated wrapping paper and polycarbonate. Well known non-recyclable plastics include cling film and blister packaging.
What paper can be recycled?
Answer: Many different kinds of paper can be recycled, including white office paper, newspaper, colored office paper, cardboard, white computer paper, magazines, catalogs, and phone books.